Re: OpenOffice 1.0x po files

On March 16, 2003 06:54 am, Arafat Medini wrote:

> Salam
>
> This sounds really interesting, I'll also download openoffice for
> windows then. Does it work on my german machine? Or do I have to have a
> an arabic windows?

Well as long as your windows machine has arabic keyboard layout swtched on,
you should be OK.  there is a catch though:

- OpenOffice 1.0.x has a an arabised version (ie. the interface is in arabic)
but you can not use it to write arabic letters or such. it does not support
BIDI (bidirectional capability to write arabic)

- OpenOffice c643 (development realeae) dos not have the arabic user
interface, but it supports writing Arabic (works nice) although it is not
100% implemented system wide (for example, the FIND dialoge box does not
accept arabic letters yet)

> Between, as openoffice was managed by the Staroffice team at that time
> and later by sun it could be possible that either the po was done by
> staroffice, or the sun, it is very unlikely that it was done by an open
> source team.

You are propably right since the translated interface I saw was very
consisiten and looked like it was done by one single party (most of the items
were similar to MS word arabic user interface)

Here is what I propose:

- we get the [OpenOffice|StarOffice] 1.0.x po files and we add then to our
main arabic dictionary files so we can all use them (consistency in paramount
in good GUI design)

- we add the [OpenOffice|StarOffice] 1.0.x po files to our cvs tree and get it
merged with the c643 branch of OpenOffice. Once done we will be able to
recruite some people to start translatating what is missing. This way when
OpenOffice c643 is released it will support arabic user interface and write
arabic as well.

What do you think ??

Anmar

--