Re: pre QCC meeting

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <yrrahal42 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> 4/ A meeting will be held on Tuesday, 23 Dec 2003 at 06:00 UTC to actually
> create the QCC. The presence of the Translation Coordinators is mandatory !
> Anyone else (who can actually give a bit of their time to this work) is
> welcome.

I think it is mandatory for all coordinators and serious contributors to
be there (if you're not, don't complain after the fact).  Ahmad.T do
please make sure to join us and Hafid let's work on your IRC problem
ASAP so you are there as well.  From what I saw on my logs of the IRC
session the meeting was a bit unorganized due to lack of crisp agenda
items that needed to be discussed and a lack of consensus on what needed
to be done - this needs to be fixed.  Ossama, since you will be driving
this meeting, I highly suggest you publish a clear agenda and a list of
things that need to be done (limit the meeting to one hour).  For samples
on how 'core' has done it (as a mere suggestion), look here -

  http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/ae_admin/weekly_agenda

We'll be having our 'core' meeting a day before for those looking to
listen-in,

  http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/core/2003/December/msg00013.html

> 1/ I was expecting to actually create the QCC yesterday and start to do some
> real work. I was rather disappointed to see the lack of participation. This
> is a serious matter. The points discussed above have somehow been discussed
> by email already. We are going in circles again. If you have some remarks
> please confirm and be at the next meeting !

Hopefully we'll have all serious translators at the meeting this time around
since we have ample notice (again hafid, please get your IRC problem fixed;
go to an internet cafe if need be - this is VERY important).  As for going
in circles, items need to be presented and agreed upon before proceeding.
I would not be surprised if some are still not 100% sure of what is taking
shape and whether they really know what is entailed, etc.  Those are all
important issues to discuss upfront in order to bury them in the foundation
rather than have things unravel in the future.

> 3/ Ossama, could you please write the agenda for the next meeting ?

Yes, please.

> 4/ Well, Since the QCC will not actually _control_ the translations, what
> about an other name ?

It is and it must.  It in essence will control what translators ought to
do and what terms to use, etc so the name seems befitting.  If that is not
part of the mandate, then what's the point of the committee.