Re: Behind what ?

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:10:18PM -0800, anmar oueja wrote:
> Hello Nadim:
>
> I agree with you 100%. I my self was talking to Muhammed El Zubir
> regarding an arabization of man pages project and I found the whole
> thing to be quite complicated so I have given up. That was a bad decisio
> n on my part. I think alot of people start the process with great
> excitement and enthusasim and end up forgetting all about it.

Unfortunately that is true. There are two scenarios that happen:
  1) they get overwhelmed and forget it
  2) they get bored and abandon it

> Here is my suggestion. It is an idea that I thought about and will
> actually persue once my new job settles down in a few weeks:  we should
> first organize what needs to be translated.  Once done we should have a
> way for poeple to translate stuff over the web.

First of all, we already have 'organized' what needs to be translated. There
is nothing more to be done there. Also, providing a web interface for
translation is simply not going to work. The majority of the translators don't
have cheap internet access. You simply cannot expect people to spend an hour
or so translating while on the internet.

> They read the english and enter the arabic in a form. Once done, a team
> will then use the translation and plaec it in the right files.
>
> I think that seperates the complexity and might intereset alot of less
> technincal people.

There are two issues here. Some may not agree with me, but I will tell you
what I think nevertheless.

  1) If a person does not have enough technical knowledge to run KDE and
  KBabel (translation tool), they don't need to be translating technical
  files. It's very simple. If you don't know the contents then you shouldn't
  be explaining to others.

  2) We have a _lot_ of translators who _know_ how to use those tools and have
  already used them. The problem is, they simply are no longer active. So, it
  is not a problem of simplifying the process, but rather of maintaining a
  continuity of it.

> Hope this helps.

All suggestions help of course ;) Thank you for the feedback.
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir