Re: New to the List

waleed Hosny wrote:

Salam All,

Salam Waleed,

I am new to the list and i would like to participate in the ongoing effort of localizing Gnome. But i guess i need to go through a learning phase first to understand the Gnome architecture and how to localize gnome interface.
So can any one point me to resources that can help me start learning to be an active member in this list ?

Please read the faqs on arabeyes.org

One more question,
We have different platforms that supports Gnome (Solaris, Linux) with different Arabic support (solaris supports iso8859-6 and unicode, i m not sure what is the most popular Arabic standards in linux now) but how does gnome handles input methods in this case and how does the translated UI will work under different layout engines ?

I don't know for solaris, but under linux the input method is handled by xfree and gtk.
For output, I think all platforms supported by gnome can display arabic if you have arabic
fonts installed and properly configured. See pango.org for more info.

Regards,
Waleed

Hicham