Re: Hijri calendar system

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:32:43AM +0100, Hans Petter Bieker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on better calendar support in KDE, and in that context I have
> a few questions for you:
> * In which countries are the Hijri calendar used?

All and not all. Officially, I think only Saudi Arabia uses them. That is,
government dates are officially based on them. However, the vast majority of
Arab countries don't use the officially.

That doesn't mean they are not used though. They are used by all Arab
countries, in literature and as such (with varying intensity).

> * Is the Hijri calendar used for all purposes or just for religious
>   purposes? For instance, would it make sense to have Konqueror using
>   Hijri dates when listing files?

No, it is a full-fledged calendar system. Again, depending on who you talk to
and what their occupation is (business folks rarely use the Hijri calendar for
example).

> * If any, which other calendars are being used in your region?

What most of the world uses, the Greogorian system. Of course we have our own
versions of the names of the month for that too (but that's a different
story).

> NOTE: Please don't remove my CC. I'm not a member of your list.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir