[developers] Git or Mercurial

I think the arabeyes projects should be moved into Git or Mercurial
Repos for easier development.

However, with Git or Mercurial, it is best that each standalone project
be put in its own repository. They can all be browsed from one webroot,
but each should be its own repo with its own history. Of course this is
to keep the history separated and organized in a neat way.

Reasons to dump CVS:

    * Because it is braindead
    * It is hard for developers to make branches and hence hard for them
      to develop.
    * Hard to really work on the project and commit code WITHOUT
      INTERNET ACCESS

This and much more is overcome by using a Distributed Version Control
System.

Choosing between Git and Mercurial:

    If you are going to use Mercurial, I suggest forcing the use of the
    Mercurial Queues Extension. Mercurial on its own has a very shallow
    learning curve if you already know svn or cvs. However Mercurial+MQ
    is not that easy to work your head around. Similarly Git is hard to
    learn at first.

    * Mercurial+MQ is easier to install than Git.
    * Git is more popular the Mercurial and has more developers.
    * Mercurial is written in Python + C(for effeciency) while Git is
      pure C. Therefore Mercurial is easier to work with and extend.

If I dont have to maintain the repo, I would suggest Git as it is really
a treat to work with. Since I should like for my brother what I like for
myself, I would suggest Mercurial as it is easier to maintain.

Hope this move happens soon,

--
Hatem Nassrat