Re: Summer of Code

--- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> Some ideas (Dump off the top of my head. Might be completely nonsense):
> * The ayaspell project (http://ayaspell.blogspot.com) needs help

Wonderful - can someone from the ayaspell project chime-in with their
willingness to help prospective volunteers (to tell them what needs
to be done, etc) ?

> * Improvements for the Arabic fonts we have ?

I think I can help out in this area.

> * Any bidi problems with firefox ?
> * Copy and paste between openoffice and firefox ?

And it was mentioned that firefox has a number of issues or bugs.  We need
to track these bugs in their proper page [1] while keeping focused on what
needs attention sooner rather than later.  But in order to include these
into our GSoC task-list don't we need some insight into mozilla's internal
workings ?

> * fribidi needs shaping!

I think behdad already has a solution though I'm not sure why its taken
this long to get a release with the new code - his call...

> * Printing plain text files from the command line.

Yes, this involves some postscript font issues.  Ahmad Khalifa, willing to
help out (ie. be a mentor) ?

> * bidi and shaping for gnome terminal
> * BiCon status ?

A couple of other things that were mentioned and/or might be of interest,

 + embedded libquran
 + irssi bidi/shaping support
 + arabizing our website using Y.Rahal's solution (po files) or
   porting our entire website/services to drupal
 + improving VIM's arabic support (redraw issues, etc - its clumsy)
 + cygwin arabic support inclusion
 + bash arabic support - how do you grep an arabic sentance from an
   arabic named file, bidi will mess it all up
 + look into the creation of a font for the entire Quran and proposing
   the solution to Unicode.org for a full standard solution
 + look into the creation of a complete list of arabic words (wordlist)

Again in order to include any of the above (or anything else) to GSoC we'll
need someone (or a group of people) to be responsible for said item (ie. we
need mentors or responsible parties for the item to proceed).

We also need to simplify and segment our current todo list [2] into smaller
more manageable task descriptive chunks.  I know some have started on this,
but everyone needs to go through the list and address their specific areas
please.

So far we seem to have,

 + D.Afifi (??)            - mentor
 + T.Fdil (siragi)         - mentor
 + M.Sameer (??)           - possible mentor
 + N.Shaikli (fonts, vim)  - possible mentor (though prefer to be a backup)

 Others ?

Thanks to all that have replied and special regards to those that are
seriously looking to be mentors.

[1] http://wiki.arabeyes.org/Openbugs
[2] http://wiki.arabeyes.org/ArabeyesTodo

Never miss an email again!