Re: cygwin's arabic support

On 7/28/07, Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
>  6. Download arabeyes' fixed-width/mono-spaced fonts [2] and copy the
>     10x21.pcf within cgywin's install directory in
>       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
>     (you might want to gzip it) and then run the following command
>     for the applications to find the font
>       % xset +fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
>  7. Now let's start an xterm that is unicode aware using our font
>     (you can include these command-line options within your .Xdefaults
>     if you so desire and xrdb them into affect)
>       % xterm -u8 \
>               -fn
couple of notes that might be helpful to anyone playing with this. For
some reason, on my system, placing the font under misc did not work,
xterm gave the "unable to open font .." message, and the font didn't
show in xlsfonts or xfontsel.
i just mkdir fonts/arabeys placed the font there, mkfontdir, then set
the font path xset +fp.

"less" never worked for me! cat/vi/more display arabic text just fine.

> Mr. Ghoneim, can you please take care of #1/#2 above ?
insha'allah, will start researching to see whats been done so far, and
i'll try compiling this week.
If am stuck and need help with something i.e. a quickie, i'll shoot
you a private email to this address.

Salam,

-Ahmed Ghoneim