Re: usability questions about Arabic script on UML sequence diagrams

Hello Yanic,

2007/1/15, Yanic Inghelbrecht <yanic dot inghelbrecht at avondschool dot be>:
 I'm currently developing a program which lets users create UML sequence
diagrams with ease. It is my aim to make this program usable for as many
people as possible, including the Arab development community.

Paying some attention to the Arabic language will also buy you the support for nearly all semetic languages or languages using the Arabic script, that is Farsi, Urdu, Hebrew, etc.

 Arabic example :
http://fapomatic.com/show.php?loc=0702&f=example_arabic.jpg

 English example :
http://fapomatic.com/show.php?loc=0702&f=example_english.jpg

 As I know nothing about Arabic, the words on the Arabic example are along
the lines of "message seven", "value four", "object two", etc. I have used
translate.google.com for this, so the result is probably not very good but
that's not important right now.

 I have three open issues about how an Arab developer would use sequence
diagrams and I hope that you can help me out with them.

 -----

 Issue 1 (language related)

 Would Arab developers write their code in Arabic or in English
(specifically : names of methods and variables). I'm asking because I wonder
if they produce their sequence diagrams with Arabic script or do they
generally stick to English script?

I'm almost sure that developers in the Arab world use English in porgramming for portability reasons and to make it easier to communicate with non-Arabic speaking users. This may not be good news though, since you'll have to worry about bidirectional text which may be a bit confusing at times.

 -----

 Issue 2 (direction related)

 You can see from the examples that the Arabic version uses a completely
different layout to account for the right-to-left reading/writing direction.
Execution starts at the top right of the diagram, while it starts at the top
left in the English version. Also, the diagrams have been optimized for the
reading direction : most arrows point right-to-left (Arabic example) and
left-to-right (English example).

 My question is this : does the right-to-left layout feel more natural to
you on the Arabic example? I haven't found any sequence diagrams on the
internet with Arabic script so I have no reference on this, but I assume you
would prefer a layout that follows the reading/writing direction? Or perhaps
the use of English books is so common that everyone is used to a
left-to-right layout even though they use a right-to-left script?

I cannot speak for everyone on this, but I, for one, find it more natural to read diagrams from right-to-left. I would say this is a plus to have, but if it gives a headaches to implement, then most Arabic-speaking developers would still live with a left-to-right diagram.

-----

 Issue 3 (font related)

 Please look at the Arabic example at 100% zoom for this. Are the word
legible enough for you or would you like to see them bigger? The Arabic
words use the same font size as the English words on the same diagram, but
they look a lot smaller to me. A friend of mine followed an Arabic course
once and told me that sometimes the difference between two Arabic symbols
can be very small, so I would assume that the font size is too small?

 Also, the underlining of some objects hides a couple of the dots below some
characters, would that be a problem for you? I'm using the standard
underline feature of a Java JTextField for this, so it should be right, but
it doesn't look right to me. Would you prefer more space between the word
and its underline?

I get this comment quite often and I still don't know why the text, despite the small size, is very readable for me and I didn't get confused on any word. I guess, the human brain does not need to look at individual letters but only a few and the general shape of the word to recognise it. I'm sure this would be more problematic with unfamiliar words like transliterated Latin names.

I would say, the text is very readable as is, but you may want to add
a font-sizing option to be on the safe side.

Keep up the nice work,

-Imed

-- Imed Chihi - عماد الشيحي http://perso.hexabyte.tn/ichihi/