Re: Arabic Term Help

Fouad, in the future don't mail me directly and instead use
one of Arabeyes' mailing-lists.  For the topic noted below
the 'developer' [1] list seems most appropriate.

--- fouada at cfl dot rr dot com wrote:
> My name is Fouad Ahmead. I got your instructions on how to compile and
> use the VIM in arabic. I got most of it working, except that the terminal
> does not combine the characters together for some reason.

Not sure I understand what you mean - are you using mlterm ?  What sort
of combining are you talking about ?

> Here is what I did.
>
> in the src/auto directory, I edited the config.h (for version 6.3) file
> and undefined the FEAT_NORMAL 1, then defined the FEAT_BIG to force the
> compilation witht eh +arabic.
>
> When I type the command version, I see the arabic option.
>
> Now, in my .vimrc file, I have the following set:
>
> set encoding=utf-8
> set arabic
> set delcombine
> set rl
> set rightleftcmd&
> set keymap=arabic
> set arabicshape
> set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1
>
> Do you have any idea why it doesn't combine the characters in arabic?

As far as I remember you shouldn't really modify anything in the source
(or at least that was the case back in 6.2 when I last looked at this)
and simply opt for :set arabic.

You should most certainly do :help arabic to get guidelines on what to do.

> Also, if I don't use gvim, I get an error when I try to assign the
> keymap=arabic.
>
> One more last thing, I am doing all this trying to append a string IN
> ARABIC and view it on a GUI, so if you have any recommendations, I
> would greatly appreciate it.

I'll look into 6.3 when I get the chance (this might take a bit as I'm
swamped), meanwhile do please read the manpages and help sections.

If someone else on the list can chime-in, please do.

PS: Fouad, make sure to subscribe to the various lists.