Re: UTF-8 with Konqueror and KHTMLPart

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullaah.

On Monday 02 May 2005 20:04, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- "Abdalla S. Alothman" <abdalla at pheye dot net> wrote:
> > A fix, IMHO would be to render the HTML properly and the CSS would be for
> > additional decoration. What I did was use CSS to fix simple UTF-8 rendering,
> > something an HTML engine should be able to handle without CSS. But since I
> > see the problem in Kate as well, I guess it's not only the KHTMLPart (and
> > Konqueror) that have that problem.
>
> Thanks for your reply - do please distill this problem and ..

I found out this problem happens when the user decides to get fancy
and enters a string in the database that contains diacritical marks.

After filtering out all the diacritical marks from the user-entered
string -- before updating the tables in PostgreSQL -- the rendering
becomes perfect, wa lillaah alhamd. I think the rendering will be
fine with diacritical marks only if the last character is not a
diacritical mark.

If the last character is a diacritical mark, the letter before it and
the mark (since an Arabic Unicode letter with a diacritical mark does
not hold one value like some French and German letters, but two!) will
be positioned at the beginning of the line. I decided to filter out all
diacritical marks before updating and before sending the query string
because I simply don't need them.

So that solves my problem, but I think Konqueror and KHTMLPart shouldn't
have such obstacles.

Wishing you and your family peace and good health.

Salam,
Abdalla