Re: CUPS in Action (need help :)

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
Ahmad, I'm not going to pretend like I know what the heck you are
talking about (I don't :-), but if you are in need of a monospaced
.pfa font file then can't we simply convert a monospaced TTF to a
.pfa using 'ttf2pfa',

  http://ttf2pt1.sourceforge.net/ttf2pfa.html
  (In passing, http://mheath.customer.netspace.net.au/ttf2pt1)

So if this is a possiblitiy, we now simply need a monospaced TTF
to start with (Uniball noted that KACST shipped one).

dont think so, it has a fixed font. I'm not sure what a fixed font is but its not monospaced :(

BTW, if you do get a font (and for future reference), the Kacst-Qr.pfa
    font file has 256 entries (or glyphs or characters or whatever
    they're called) the lower 128 are from the 0x600 range, and the
    upper 128 are the 0xFE70 range (Pres. Form-B), the Unicode values
    are tied to the names of the glyphs in file
    /usr/share/cups/data/psglyphs . so if you do get a font you need
    to edit most of the font using pfaedit (from sf.net) and make sure

pfaedit is now called fontforge (http://fontforge.sf.net :-)

    it complies with the names in psglyphs (or change the names in
    psglyphs, but CUPS would like to stick to adobe's standard names)

    In short, the Kacst-Qr.pfa font is 128 values from 0600 range and
    128 values from FE70 range, because CUPS would like to keep them in
    1 font.

OK, this all sounds simple enough (ie. sounds like you've gone through
this pain once or twice :-).  So let's find a monospaced TTF convert it
to .pfa and verify the CUPS patch.

a __Freely distributed__ Monospaced Font please :)

BTW: I get the feeling this is really secondary to what you've done to
CUPS, so beyond all the .PS file mangling would it be possible for
me to print things or can I bypass this hurdle to verify things a different way (doubt it, but thought I'd ask).

well, no you cant print! because cups's backend would read the .PS file just like GV, GGV would. and I doubt that CUPS would look for the font in the same folder as the .PS

Wait a second.  So CUPS requires you to use monospaced fonts to print
even in latin/english characters ?  This seems like a rather hefty
limitation, no ?  Meaning, if/when we get this going - we'll have

Yes, monospaced for all languages, but only for text files. you can use something like gedit to generate a .PS with a different font and it will take care of all the coordinates info.

one font we can use to print things and from the sound of it we won't
be able to print both latin and Arabic due to the 256 entries
limitation (maybe), right ?  Sorry for all this confusion, just trying
to understand what the heck is going on.

No, you can have multiple fonts in a .PS file, and thats what happens CUPS' texttops filter copies all the fonts it has in the .PS file try opening the .PS with emacs you'll see them. the problem is in the .PS arabic font, other languages get displayed fine.

ak.