FriBidi vs. miniBidi

Salam,

I am a little uncomfortable by the recent exchange between Ahmed and
BEhdad on the lists. As Youcef has stated, let us please keep it
professional and focus on the issues.

Behdad, you and Roozbeh (and anyone involved for that matter) know very
well that Arabeyes general policy is not to re-invent the wheel unless
absolutely necessary. In PuTTY's case, it was absolutely necessary.

miniBiDi also is, hopefully, an incentive, to add shaping code to
FriBidi ASAP. We have been harping on this for way too long now and
frankly are all very disappointed about it.

miniBiDi is not meant to be a replacement for FriBidi, and I personally
would recommend fribidi over minibidi in most if not all cases. However,
when necessary, minibidi is available as a replacement/alternative.

Ahmed, we have had (and hopefully always will) excellent relationships
with Behdad and Roozbeh and I know that no ill was meant. In the future,
let us try to coordinate with them before adding bidi to other
applications if/when fribidi is insufficient for the task ( for whatever
reasons). I/we hope that this would encourage them to add shaping to
fribidi asap. When it is a licensing issue, however, we really have no
choice, do we? ;)

Btw, Behdad is from Iran. Just thought I would mention that ;)

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |