Re: adding Font glyphs (was - X.org influence)

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at cs dot toronto dot edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > If more glyphs could be added it would be perfect. Particularly
> > interesting and easy are: U0679, U0688, U0691, U06C7. Those need
> > a bit more design: U06BA,  U06D2, U06D5. With those 7 extra characters
> > it would also cover Urdu.
> >
> > Please, behdad ask your team to add these 7 glyphs. This would be very
> > valuable to all distros.  It shouldn't be a lot of work.
>
> First, these fonts are not mine, or my team's, I just have been
> asking for more glyphs too :).  Second, these characters does not
> handle Persian, or in fact are never used in Persian.

I would suggest we stick to Arabic and Persian/Farsi for now and worry
about Urdu later.

> Nadim et al,  I have attached a map of the Unicode Arabic block,
> annotated for Persian, based on the national standard.  The
> characters with white background are not used in Persian.  All
> the others are required.  But there are lots of other characters
> that I'm not going to list here.
>
>   http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~behdad/arabic-block.png

Behdad, what is the encoding of those characters (in Form-B as well).

I'm guessing U+0671, U+067E, U+0686, U+0698, U+06A9, U+06AF, U+06CC but
what relates to them in form-B ?

> BEHNAM OR ROOZBEH, WOULD YOU PLEASE SEND THE DOCUMENT FROM MEHRAN
> WHICH LISTS THE CHARACTERS AND GLYPHS FOR PERSIAN FONTS?

Yeah and again - we really need font help - we can add the above
glyphs but we need to fix the entire font file to make it more
usable in general.  So in short, nothing will be done until help
arrives !!!