Re: ITL Prayer Time

abdulhaq writes:
 > Thamer, the new changes sound great, but I still have some concerns (please
 > be patient with me).

This is just a quick replay. I will be returning to this topic, after
the coding is done, with more info and testing results. (I will be
busy for most of next week, so I can't really say when will that
happen)

[snipped]

 > However, I'd still like to put my mind to rest in this important matter. The
 > yanabi website claims to have times accurate to +- 2 seconds, and also seems
 > to very closely conform to the libnova generated data. I can't find any
 > mention of marsbase.net claiming to use VSOP87 in its calculation.

It's mentioned here (bottom left)
http://www.marsbase.net/m/sunrise-sunset-marsrise-marsset.php

 > My point is that our times (ITL, abdali etc) are varying, as you
 > point out, by minutes and yet it seems as if it is possible to
 > calculate the time to the nearest two seconds.
 >
 > The yanabi website only gives its answers to the nearest minute, which is
 > rounded up for maghrib and down for shuruq. Also, dhuhr time is adjusted for
 > the full disc of the sun to move off the highest point. This explains the
 > discrepancy you found between libnova and yanabi for instance.

I'm aware of this and I did not mention yanabi. In fact, I did not
test neither yanabi nor libnova. I've mentioned libnova and marsbase
results based on your own findings in an older post. There might be
logical reasons that explains why marsbase and libnova are producing
different results. I do not know and I certainly did not do any
testing/reading of both tools to figure out why this is actually
happening.

Of course, there is still a good chance that we might end up with the
same exact results as libnova (or marsbase ;), I'm not sure for now. I
will post more info on this as I start testing the new code.

Regards,
Thamer Mahmoud