Re: Fwd: Integrating BIDI and shaping in Newt

 --- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa> wrote: > I am forwarding this
message here cause it will decide about whether Arab
> will
> go Debian or Mandrake. The first who does it will accept our hearts and
> money. I, myself, wish Mandrake will do it first because I get used to it and
>
> don't want to convert. I will also renew my club member for sure if 10.0
> comes with the Arabic installation support and solved the other related
> issues. Otherwise, I hope Mandrake every good on earth but need to convert.
> Sorry to say this but it remains I appreciate your help, especially Pablo
> Saratxaga.

Should Arabs go either Debian or Mandrake? And not both for example?
First, I have the feeling that Debian is good enough if you want to switch to
it. But if Arabic support in the installer is your only reason then you will be
an expert on distributions; with an expected switching rate of two distros per
month:)

As an aside, the fedora installer in text mode uses newt, and newt is a package
on mandrake also (don't know if used in installer, please check, may be have a
look at drakxtools-newt?), so all people will benefit. Though I used to believe
that newt depends on slang, which depend on ... and so on. Anyway, Anmar has
already done the homework for that, so let's enjoy.

May be the debian installer translation is the trick? Well, Anmar, Ossama and
Arafat have certainly made a good job there, but you may try to do it yourself
with help from others who believe in Arabic and Mandrake (remember to lend me
those people after you finish;).

> Subject: Integrating BIDI and shaping in Newt
> Date: Thursday 15 January 2004 22:13
> From: Anmar Oueja <anmar at canada dot com>
> To: jad at saklawi dot info
> Cc: Development Discussions <developer at arabeyes dot org>

> 2. Newt library is no where to be downloaded so you can get it at:
> "http://anmar.homelinux.org/~anmar/newt/";. This is the tar of the source
> package from debian.

I hope that Mr. Jad will get this job done. And please remember that we need a
clean patch that will work against the newer versions of newt, as the redhat is
now 0.51.6 (rpm at
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/SRPMS/newt-0.51.6-1.src.rpm).
Or may be you use the newer version?

And it seems I snatched the bicon project from someone already. Sorry for that,
but there is always something else to do.

Regards

Muhammad Alkarouri
MSc Telecommunication and Information Systems
RHCE