Re: PuTTy: Patch works fine

--- Musab Al-Rawi <musab_rawi at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> i tested PuTTy (with the new changes to disable Windows from doing
> bidi and shaping) on arabic contents of UTF-8 files, the files had
> arabic text, one

In passing, windows doesn't do bidi within PuTTY (so don't even expect
to see it just yet :-)

> of the files was mixed with english .. and nothing but english letters
> were viewed .. the arabic letters were viewed as garbage.

I think you are doing something wrong then.  Arabic should not
be viewed as garbage - make sure your file is a properly encoded
UTF-8 file and that your PuTTY session is under the same encoding
(Category->Window->Translation and select UTF-8), you can check
the file's contents by viewing it in your browser.  If you still
see strange characters try it with the non-modified PuTTY executable
to see if you might have introduced this 'inability' (as Behdad noted,
you should see disjoint characters - ie. non-shaped characters).

> so i guess we can go for the next step.. once the license issue is
> clear. thanks for the help Behdad,

Once the above is solved, we'll need to mail a patch to Simon and
proceed from there (I'd guess Simon et al would rather slim down
a Bidi implementation and simply include it in the source - I would
also bet they will pursue the ICU library for code sniplets).

Eid Mubarak to all.