Re: Java Quran project

I'm CC'ing Arabeyes' "developer" mailing-list to simply archive this
exchange in case others have wondered about the status of this topic.

--- Riyad Preukschas <rpreukschas at web dot de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2004 07:39 Nadim wrote:
> > Riyad, according to PR-16 (http://bugs.arabeyes.org) you had requested
> > to get the Kuran project folded into Arabeyes and we'd be honored to do
> > that.  M.Yousif was supposed to have gotten in touch with you about
> > this along time ago and I'm not sure what has happened and/or why there
> > has been a delay in getting this taken care of (I remember hearing that
> > mails to you bounced).
>
> Hmm ... IIRC the only "getting in touch" was his OK to put Kuran in
> Arabeyes' CVS repository.

Ah, good - I thought I missed that :-)

> Yes, you are right. I requested an account for the Kuran project on
> Arabeyes' CVS. But there were two reasons why I hesitated with importing
> the project to CVS.
> 1. Since the summer holidays I am quite busy with school. This was the
>    reason why I had no time dealing with CVS and with development on
>    Kuran at all (the latest release is from the end of July [1]).

That's not a problem at all - what concerns us is the longterm outlook
and the commitment that comes with it and it sounds like those two
aspects are very much intact.

> 2. Code issues. Classes dramatically gained in complexity due to the
>    latest feature additions [2]. This complexity made the app quite
>    slow and buggy. I wanted a complete redesign of the app's structure
>    before importing it to the CVS.
>
> isA there will be new advances and some exoneration for me as a new
> developer [3] joined the project recently. We decided to replace the
> current procedure of hardcoding features by a plugin system. I will
> also get in contact with Ahmed El-Helw (the guy behind the libquran
> Java port) to ask him to join this effort (- why didn't I think of
> this before?).

This all sounds great - once you are comfortable and get going to the
point where you feel comfortable enough to integrate into Arabeyes'
CVS do please let us know and we'll take care of all issues.

> [1] http://kuran.sourceforge.net/langs/en/java_download.shtml
> [2] http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=261462
> [3] http://kuran.includeme.ma.cx/langs/en/developer_brahim.shtml

There are still a number of issues yet to be resolved and cemented
regarding the Quran project and its details in general and from what
I've heard M.Yousif is in the same busy boat as yourself.

Salam and best of luck with school and we all hope to see you in
action soon.