Re: Arabic in PuTTY

--- Simon Tatham <anakin at pobox dot com> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> >   'Assertion Failed'
> >   File:..\.\terminal.c
> >   Line 4420
> >   Expression: 0 <= p && p < width
>
> Aha, actually that was quite easy to fix. Tomorrow's snapshot should
> be better.

I've verified that the above noted failure has been fixed and I do
see the harakat/diacritics combined and displayed properly (using
'2004-12-02:r4941').  Great Job !!

One quick important note though that I think needs to be addressed.
The fonts included with regard to Arabic leave alot to be desired.
There are currently only 2 fonts that even support Arabic, namely
'Courier New' and 'Simplified Arabic Fixed' (didn't 'Lucida Console'
at some point also support Arabic ?).  The 'Simplified' font actually
seems to have major problems (try to view the aforementioned file
using that font and you'll see what I mean).  'Courier New' seems
to function properly, yet it looks like the harakat (the diacritics)
weren't placed/spaced properly especially in its "bold" style which is
what I use and so you barely see them (well, you see a faint bottom
section of the shadda (U+0651) for instance).  This unfortunate harakat
placement is best expressed when you look at 'Courier New' using its
"bold" setting and say size 36 or so (the regular font style seems to
be better although dammatan (U+064C) such as the one noted on line-180
in that dasher.po file still isn't fully distinguished either).

Can this be improved upon ?  Can we replace that simplified font with
something that works and possibly extend the other fonts to include
Arabic as well ?

Out of curiosity, can't one load fonts that are not bundled with PuTTY ?

In passing, http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Khotot

Regards.