Re: Java Prayer engine (ITL)

--- Moazzam Khan <moazzam at ummah dot org> wrote:
> I am working on an adhan software on Java, that's why I ported it
> to Java :)

Please again, do _not_ mail me directly (this is the last time that I will
respond) and instead use the Arabeyes' "developer" mailing-list.

> I don't mind putting it on GPL license. Although, what I had in mind was
> not allowing it to be used for commercial purpose.

Great, then GPL it will be.

> I will inshallah upload it to mpadc.com, and will inshallah let the list
> know when I am done.

Wonderful, do please let us know what that is done.

> The main reason I ported the code to Java was because people wouldn't have
> to compile it on every platform (because most users can't), and the support
> for C as you mentioned. So, I don't see any use in wrappers in Java for C
> code. You might as well compile the library in C and write a application
> around that, which is much faster.
>
> The ideal thing would be to make an AI that will do the porting. But, I am
> not aware of any such code porters/converters. This is a project in itself -
> an application that can port code from language to another. And, I am pretty
> sure this will be the project of the millenium if done successfully. For now,
> since no major changes are made, developers can port the code of the changed
> files to other languages.
>
> I have been looking at the documentation for the prayer times engine. It
> would be great if the original programmer can comment on what the functions
> in the library do. Not neccesarily the whole algorithm, just a summary of
> what it does would be good too. And, it will be much easier to port the code
> to other languages.

Again, your best bet is to post to Arabeyes' "developer" mailing-list
post subscribing since all the info you seek is there,

I am again CC'ing your mail and this reply to 'developer' and as noted
won't reply to any more private email (hope you see the wisdom in that :-)