Re: [putty]PuTTY's Arabic patch

From: Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com>
> Yes, we did.  We just need to find time to look into a few things.
> Notably, there might be some performance hits when selecting text, and
> possibly elsewhere.  Possibly the bidi/shaping code is being called
> more often than it should be?  (Simon has some ideas that might speed
> up the way the bidi code reverses stuff, which might help too.)

I'm sure Ahmad would love to hear those ideas in order to possibly
correct/enhance anything that is sub-par (unless Simon has already
done that).

im guessing that simon is moving the Shaping/Bidi calls to a less frequently called function. i.e Bidi/Shaping is called only when the Actual text buffer changes. that would be more efficient. anyway, id be glad to know about your changes.

> Also, we're a bit concerned by the fact that you had to do anything
> special to cope with CP-1256, since it implies that you're doing your
> shaping work before everything's been converted to Unicode rather than
> after.

I'm in no position to comment since I haven't looked at the code in depth;
Ahmad any thoughts/comments ?  I'd assume this relates to the point noted
above as well.

i dont convert the whole string to unicode and then back, i lookup the
unicode value for each char as needed, that may consume more computations
and lookups than converting the whole string once, in case you want to do
that, i.e convert the whole string to Unicode and apply Bidi/Shaping to it, i
suggest you use the minibidi version in cvs, and add a mapping function to it
because the macros in putty's version are a bit more complicated than the ones
in cvs. id be happy to do it if you want.

ak.