Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Please help with the bidi Emacs

> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:28:43 +0300
> From: Thamer Mahmoud <neokuwait at myrealbox dot com>
>
> I've done some testing with this but no joy. I'm on X and I'm entering
> Arabic characters through the XKB extension. Emacs crashes after few
> seconds of usage (backtrace below). Looks like Emacs is only able to
> successfully reorder 2 characters in a buffer before disappearing with
> the "Fatal error (6).Aborted" message showing up in my terminal window.

This is expected, and I tried to explain it in my message; sorry if I
was unclear.  The bidi Emacs is not ready to be a useful editor yet,
it crashes very soon after you turn on the default-enable-bidi-display
flag.  I think this will happen even if you don't insert any
character; just visiting a file with characters that require
reordering should be enough.

Please consider debugging the current code to fix the bugs.

> #0  0x40278081 in kill () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
> #1  0x080efd8c in abort () at emacs.c:417
> #2  0x08094a30 in bidi_resolve_neutral (bidi_it=0xbfffdedc) at bidi.c:1438
> #3  0x08094f87 in bidi_level_of_next_char (bidi_it=0xbfffdedc) at bidi.c:1549
> #4  0x080952eb in bidi_get_next_char_visually (bidi_it=0xbfffdedc) at bidi.c:1725

The code in bidi.c where it crashes was written by me, so I should be
able to help you figure out what's wrong.  Unfortunately, I don't
have time to debug it myself; that's why I asked for help here.