Re: [putty]Bidi + PuTTY - done

--- Owen Dunn <owend at chiark dot greenend dot org dot uk> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> writes:
> > --- Simon Tatham <anakin at pobox dot com> wrote:
> > >  - It currently seems to me that bidi and shaping do not happen at
> > >    all if you're using a non-UTF-8 character set such as Win1256.
> >
> > I for one will advocate we not support CP-1256 (people should
> > convert over all their data to UTF-8 _now_).  We've worked VERY hard
> > on getting people to lose the CP-1256 bad/nasty/stupid habit and so
> > I'd suggest we simply forgo it completely.
>
> I disagree.  No matter how preferable UTF8 may be, some people will
> have Win1256, and PuTTY understands it _now_ as an encoding for
> incoming data.  In my view, all Arabic should be shaped and have the
> bidi algorithm applied to it, regardless of how it's encoded.

Well if you have CP-1256 handy then chances are UTF-8 is available also
if not then they should be using a real OS :-)

--- ahmad khalifa <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> the effort isnt much, and i tend to agree with Owen.
> if Arabeys.org doesnt support cp1256, who will ?

Well the point we're kinda trying to make is that no one should.  We
would love to see CP-1256 simply die off completely.  With that said,
you are free to do as you see fit, but again I wouldn't make it easy
for people to use a proprietary MS encoding especially when there is a
fantastic replacement.  This is all I will say on this topic (Ahmad,
do as you see fit - I think we've made our point :-).

> > Ahmad Khalifa did 99.9% of the work (there is some shaping code that
> > others contributed to in the past as noted in the shaping section).
> > I'd suggest something along the lines of "Ahmad Khalifa contributed
> > the majority of the Bidi and supporting Arabic code with some minor
> > assistance from various Arabeyes.org volunteers and coders".
>
> That's a bit wordy.  If you look at our current copyright notice we
> just give names, and don't credit `minor assistance' (otherwise I'd be
> in there!).  If Arabeyes.org can live with it, I'd prefer just to list
> Ahmad Khalifa in the copyright notice.  Of course assistance from
> arabeyes.org will be noted in the release announcement of the first
> release to support bidi and Arabic shaping!

How about what Elzubeir noted, "Ahmad Khalifa (Arabeyes.org project)" ?

Regards,