Re: [putty]Bidi + PuTTY - done

--- Simon Tatham <anakin at pobox dot com> wrote:
> "ahmad khalifa" <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> > patch is now OK.
> >   http://cvs.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/projects/external/putty/
>
> Thanks. This seems more workable; the only thing I had to do to get
> it to compile was to add arabic.c and minibidi.c to `Recipe' so that
> the makefiles remembered to build them.
>
> I've made some immediate changes to the patch, some to make it fit
> with the PuTTY design principles and some because they simply
> appeared to be mistakes:

[snip snip]

> The resulting binary appears to run fine on Windows, and it looks as
> if it's doing _something_ on Unix too (but I don't have any Arabic X
> fonts installed so it's difficult to tell).

Great.

> The revised patch is available at
>
>   http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/patch.putty.arabic

Ahmad, could you please generate a new .exe for us to test using Simon's
modified patch ?

> Arabeyes people: please check my version of the patch to make sure
> it still works and I haven't broken anything obvious. In particular,
> I might have broken ldisc.c, and my suggested documentation might be
> wrong.

Will do as soon as we get our hand on an executable :-)

> Also, a couple more things:
>
>  - It currently seems to me that bidi and shaping do not happen at
>    all if you're using a non-UTF-8 character set such as Win1256. I
>    imagine this is because the characters appear in the PuTTY
>    terminal structures as D8xx rather than proper Unicode, so the
>    bidi and shaping algorithms don't notice them. Does this happen
>    for you as well? Does it need to be fixed before checkin?

I for one will advocate we not support CP-1256 (people should convert
over all their data to UTF-8 _now_).  We've worked VERY hard on getting
people to lose the CP-1256 bad/nasty/stupid habit and so I'd suggest
we simply forgo it completely.

>  - Arabeyes people: for this amount of code, you probably deserve to
>    be credited in the PuTTY copyright notice and licence. Who should
>    I be crediting, and precisely how?

Ahmad Khalifa did 99.9% of the work (there is some shaping code that
others contributed to in the past as noted in the shaping section).
I'd suggest something along the lines of "Ahmad Khalifa contributed
the majority of the Bidi and supporting Arabic code with some minor
assistance from various Arabeyes.org volunteers and coders".

Simon, did the listed phases and future work (in an earlier email) make
sense ?  Do they sit well with you in terms of approach ?

Regards,