Re: [putty]Bidi + PuTTY - done

From: Simon Tatham <anakin at pobox dot com>

 - do_bidi() and do_short_shape() are now declared in putty.h. In
   particular, this caused a compile error in terminal.c, since
   do_bidi() is defined with three arguments and terminal.c was only
   passing in two! The third argument appears to be unused as yet,
   though, so I've added `NULL' to the argument list in terminal.c
   and that seems to work so far.

sorry again, the third parameter is not used, and was initially there because i was experimenting with trying to include the cursor in the bidi algorithm. just remove the third param and everything should be fine...

The resulting binary appears to run fine on Windows, and it looks as
if it's doing _something_ on Unix too (but I don't have any Arabic X
fonts installed so it's difficult to tell).

i havent tried putty on linux. might give it a shot later...

Also, a couple more things:

 - I'd prefer to find a nicer way to implement doMirror(), but the
   comment at the top of the function suggests that this isn't news
   to you :-)

i've been nagging about this, but no replies. do u have any suggestions ? a hash table maybe ? a nice compressed array like the one in minibidi.h ?

 - It currently seems to me that bidi and shaping do not happen at
   all if you're using a non-UTF-8 character set such as Win1256. I
   imagine this is because the characters appear in the PuTTY
   terminal structures as D8xx rather than proper Unicode, so the
   bidi and shaping algorithms don't notice them. Does this happen
   for you as well? Does it need to be fixed before checkin?

havent tried CP1256, will do that. anmar just brought it to my attention. anyway, since u moved do_arabic_textout() to window.c and shaping will be part of minibidi, the file arabic.c will be useless sometime in the future, and will need to be removed. btw: in UTF-8, english chars < 0x7F also appear as D8xx. is this normal behaviour ? note the for loop before the doBidi and do_short_shaping calls.

 - Arabeyes people: for this amount of code, you probably deserve to
   be credited in the PuTTY copyright notice and licence. Who should
   I be crediting, and precisely how?

hehe, probably me :)), How ? i dunno about that.

Cheers,
Simon
--
Simon Tatham         "loop, infinite _see_ infinite loop"
<anakin at pobox dot com>     - Index, Borland Pascal Language Guide

ak.