Re: Encode::Arabic

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> BTW: do you think this little scipt is worth mentioning on CPAN (I'm not
>      familiar with their process).
>
>        http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/tools/shape_bidi
>
> Thank again and keep those Arabic libraries coming.

Dear Nadim,

thanks for your kind response. As to your script, I think it is in
principle fine. I might have comments on the -- IMHO -- non-necessary
conversions from characters to hexadecimal codes and back, but that should
not be my point now.

There already is a script of **similar** functionality on the web,
although not at CPAN. It also derives the proper 'contextual letter
shapes', but unlike shape_bidi, it reverses all data and also enforces
more ligatures.

Please, have a look at http://czyborra.com/arabjoin/.

Maybe you and Roman could try to merge your scripts, making them probably
a module for CPAN, something like Lingua::AR::???, for modules can be used
from within other programs, of course. I will think of implementing the
shaping also with Encode::Mapper, to explore its applicability ;)

With best regards,
Otakar Smrz