Re: Duali project

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:50:25AM +0300, Mohamed Alkanhal wrote:
> Dear Mohammed Elzubeir,
> Assalam Alikum, I came across the Duali project and found it interesting.
> I'm happy to see the first open source Arabic spell-checker. What is the
> current status of this project and how about its future plan? I will be

The current status as you can probably tell from the project page, we
are at 0.1.1 release. So far, this is a python-based release. I am
currently in the process of porting the Python implementation to C++.
This is done in conjunction with an attempt to integrate it with OOo.

> happy if you can provide me with such information as I couldn't find an
> updated post that gives a general idea about the current structure of the
> spell-checker. Would you also elaborate on what parts need future
> modification. Thanks.

Yes, there is a very important part of the spellchecker not yet
implemented. In fact, the Python version out there includes certain
features that are not being used. However, most important to me is the
compatibility tables support. That is, to check on whether a specific
prefix would go with another suffix or not. As it is right now, there
are some instances where a word does not exist in the dictionary but is
flagged as correct because when broken down to prefix/stem/suffix a
prefix and suffix that cannot co-exist are found and so you end up with
a stem that is incorrect (and in some cases makes up a whole other word
that is correct).

I'm not sure what your skillset is, but if you are interested in getting
your hands dirty, let me know what you are comfortable with and we can
work out something to speed things up ;)

Regards