Re: Unicode and Bidi vs Shaping

--- Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh sharif edu> wrote:

[snip]

> > Please do keep us posted on what the UTC comes up with.

Roozbeh/Behdad, thank you VERY much for keeping us abreast of what's
taking shape and for including us on your proposal (I've had similar
difficulties understanding the various examples and so will talk to
M.Elzubeir to catch-up :-)

> Sure. But that may take some time, as the UTC members keep some silence
> for a little while after the meetings for a little rest (being tired for
> the pre-meeting document rush, the meeting, and the travel, which may be
> across the whole US or even to Canada or this time even to India for a
> member).
>
> That'll be the thing that we are going to implement in FriBidi also.

Excellent - this is the best news I've heard in ages :-)

> roozbeh
>
> PS: what's happening with Arabeyes becoming a member of Unicode? I prefer
> not to act as a liaison much more. It takes time, and it ruins
> possiblities to educate an Arab Unicode guru in the meanwhile (which we
> miss).

Last I remember, there was a cost involved.  Arabeyes, as you might know,
is rather strapped for cash - our donations haven't really picked-up sadly
enough (we're barely staying afloat),

  http://www.arabeyes.org/donate.php

Knowing this, what would you recommend ?

Again, many _many_ thanks for the inclusion - we'll be spending much time
soon (and an announcement will be sent) to discuss and get more involved
in Bidi (and possibly fribidi) as well as in dissecting your proposal :-)
We've all realized of late that we need to play a bigger role in that
arena and need an intimate understanding of the algorithm.