Re: [Fwd: Fwd: [Issue 14590] - LTR text ending with punctuation in RTL paragraph misordered]

First, I welcome you on the list and happy to see you here dear karouri, I am
not going to introduce you because I know you won't like it but let your
deeds speak loudly.

Second, I expected some one who is more knowledgeable than me to respond to
this but since all of them are busy let me try.

I agree with ssa at openoffice dot org dot  The UNICODE specification assigns
directionality to Unicode characters and defines a (complex) algorithm for
determining the proper directionality of text. The Unicode bidirectional
algorithm requires an initial text direction.

Think of it the other way around. Suppose I want to write
البرمجة بلغة C + البرمجة ب .Net تعني أنك ربما تكون مبرمجاً
In this case you want the plus to appear after the C to the left (so how can
the application differentiate between my case and yours?) whereas I
want the dot to appear to the right of the letter N (which is not the normal
case). The point is the application couldn't tell what the user intention is
unless explicitly defined by the user.

OK, now comes the question of how to solve it. Simply using Unicode control
characters. RLM and LRM will solve it. I am not sure how to insert it in
OpenOffice since I haven't it installed but there should be away. I tried it
in Katoob and it works.

An enhancement to this is to use a high level protocol that will insert these
characters automatically via a shortcut key like Ctrl+Right Shift and
Ctrl+Left Shift as it's the case with M$ Word but this is another issue and
it is surely an enhanement rather than a bug.

There are useful info on these two docs
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr9/

Behdad Esfahbod (بهداد  اسفهبد), Fribidi maintainer,
and Roozbeh Pournader (روزبه  پورنادر) who contributed to this Annex are
themselves on the Arabeyes list so let's hope they have time to confirm.

http://www.abisource.com/information/news/2002/awn95.phtml
which is very useful in case you are in a hurry.

--

Telecommunications Engineer
CIW, ICDL, MOUS.
New Horizons CLC