Re: generic multimedia reader ?

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 23:30, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Salam all.  I've had this idea for awhile and didn't have the time to sit
> down and write anything about it till now.  With the recent success of the
> 'quran' project (the project has attracted a great number of new developers
> which rates highly in my book, plus its a wonderful noble project).
>
> A couple of thoughts come to mind,
>
>  1. Has anyone given thought to extending the current 'quran' project to
>     include Hadith or a means to link it in somehow ?  Seems like a logical
>     next step.
I thought of including some books about Qur'an scienses, tafser,
ahkam telawa...etc.
However I found it a huge task to convert those books to an electronic
format so I gave up.

>  2. Start a new project (similar to 'quran') which is more generic in its
>     purpose and content.  In other words, call it a 'generic reader' or a
>     'multimedia browser'.  This agent/application would have a generic
>     means of displaying whatever is given to it in a particular format
>     (say like in an XML file or something).  It would be able to display
>     pictures, text, etc.  The main purpose of such a thing would be to
>     bring forth a means to display children's stories and various other
>     learning/teaching material.  Given a particular file format
>     specification people can port any (and all of their) stories, teaching
>     documents, etc (could even be the Holy Quran itself) and be displayed.
Interesting, I would like to add that it should also be suitable for converting books to an electronic format meaning that it should not be only for children and a unified format for these books should be there.
An example would be Al-Muhaddith library:
http://www.muhaddith.org
there is a toc (table of contents), a search engine and a browser.
It should take the xml on some format not only containing data but
also how to display it or even how to process it.
> Its been suggested that there are similar "for-money" (ie. closed source)
> projects out there that do similar things (I'm not familiar with any of
> them myself), but will mention them in case people are interested in
> finding out more about them for discussion purposes,
>
>   + Macromedia Director
>   + Macromedia Authorware
>   + Magenta Composer/Player
>   + Opus

also:
 Adobe EBook Reader (viewer only)

I will try to give some ideas later

--
Mohammed Yousif
"She is in my mind and soul, I love her with all my heart and blood".