Re: Need Arabic font and test doc for testing Vim patch

Hello Steve:

The following is from the Arabic Vim patch By Nadim:

Assuming that you have patched and compiled vim with the latest arabic-shaping patch. All you need to activate the arabic support is the following

:set guifont= (arabic font)
:set encoding=utf-8
:set keymap=arabic
:set arabic

alot of the windows fonts support arabic such as Arial, and Coureir New. Unfortunately I do not know which of these fonts is free. if you have a free font and want to find out if it supports arabic, all you have to do is launch the (Character Map) app in windows and see the shapes this fonts supports. if you are not sure. send the fonts list to this mailing list and I will be happy to check them for you..

Thanks

Anmar

Steve Hall wrote:

Stupid question: English, non-Arabic speaker here wants to see Arabic Vim in action. Seems like three things are needed:

* Arabic text document
* Arabic font
* Instructions for setting the correct encoding. (:set encoding=utf-8)

Could anybody here help me with the first two? I'd prefer a native
speaker mail me a very short doc with an interlined English
translation. (Perhaps a quick advocacy for Arabeyes.org!) I'm also
wondering where (in addition to the Unix fonts listed at
http://www.arabeyes.org/resources.php) I might find a Windows font
that is freely distributable. Any pointers?

I'd like to post these with our Arabic-supporting Vim binaries so that
non-speakers can reliably test. (And broaden all our horizons a bit.)

Thanks much.

Steve Hall  [ [digitect] at [mindspring] dot [com] ]
--
Try Cream in your Vim... it takes the bitterness out!
  http://cream.sourceforge.net