From: ahmed el-helw
Subject: libquran questions
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:06:33 -0500

salam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barkatuh.
hope insha'Allah everyone is doing well.. i was interested in working
on the search for libquran.. however, i was wondering what the plan was
in this respect - namely, is it a per language search (ie i type my
query in arabic when i want to search in arabic, etc?) - or would we
also have a phonetic search (like the one islamicity.org has)?  if
the latter, would there be an easier way to do it than writing a program
that traverses the xml files, taking every letter in arabic and converting
it to its phonetic sound (ie alif becomes a, etc), or how would be a
good way to do this?

secondly, in terms of the audio.. do you have someplace in mind where to
get the quran in ayats?  what i was thinking is if someone were for
example to take a given qari (say sodais for example), and a set of
files for him, and were to record the ayat offsets (where each ayat stopped
in terms of the audio file), then people can just download 200 mb of
audio for example and have full functional per ayat reading... would
this be plausible, or perhaps you have something else in mind?

finally, i was wondering if someone could help me in compiling gnomequran
under slackware... i am having problems with it (didn't under gentoo,
however) -- i can compile libquran and qtquran fine, no problem - but when
i try to compile gnomequran, when i type make (after ./configure), the
ogg test program cores... if i disable the ogg test, i'll get a whole bunch
of errors in ngajiquran.c and finally a parse error.. i tried removing all
the libraries and reinstlling them (ogg, oggutils, libogg, libvorbis,
speex, etc) - that didn't help too much, as a matter of fact, it gave me
a parse error in the configure file of gnomequran when i tried to compile
it -- and after removing the lines causing a problem from the configure
file, i still couldn't compile it getting another error in ngajiquran.c..
can anyone help me out with this?

alright, jazakumAllah khairan.
walsalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

-ae