Re: Arabic vim patch (was - BAD BUG)

--- "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine mechelynck belgacom net> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> [...]
> > Tony did you figure out what the problem was - I saw on the vim list
> > that you had some old/corrupt files (I think) hanging around; is the
> > Arabic patch innocent of these and other troubles ?

[snip]

> I suspect that the newer binary, with that same 'guifont' setting
> (i.e., when &gfn == "Courier_New:h20:cDEFAULT", which is a non-X11 setting),
> uses only the Latin glyphs. What do you think? If that is the problem it
> would probably lie in some patch later than 300 and either not with the
> Arabic patch at all, or else with the way that Arabic character display for
> UTF-8 interfaces with the rest of gvim under non-X graphical display
> interfaces in general and/or MS-Windows in particular.

Tony, the best way to approach this is to do the following,

 1. Obtain a vim with the 320 patches without the Arabic patch
 2. Obtain a vim with the 320 patches with    the Arabic patch

And try loading that font (make sure to have a previously written valid
Arabic file handy to load-in/read).  I didn't touch how vim loads fonts,
as far as I remember.  The vim without the arabic patch ought to show you
arabic characters (it just won't look right and it won't be usable :-),
but you ought to see them -- make sure to set the encoding to utf-8.
I really want to isolate the problem to get forward progress; if its
something that the patch is doing - I'll go and fix it, but I since I
didn't touch the font loading (as that was working properly), I highly
doubt that I screwed anything up in that regard.

>         -- it works, after a fashion: namely, only "isolated" presentation
> forms are displayed in gvim

As noted without the Arabic patch, you ought to see Arabic characters;
they just won't be shaped and/or joined.

I really want to close this issue to get this patch into Vim's main tree
ASAP (its been too long as is) and I'm willing to put in the time to get
it fully addressed and polished.  I haven't gotten any other complaints
beyond this one, so let's address it and knock it out :-)  A few others
on linux/unix have replied positively.  No pressure, Tony :-)

Disclaimer - I am _not_ a windows developer/user, so the patch and code
             might reflect my ignorance in that issue.

Regards,