Re: Maalam Status

From: Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org>
To: developer at arabeyes dot org
Subject: Re: Maalam Status
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:34:25 -0600

Salam Youcef,

Wa alaikoum Es-Salam !

I would suggest you apply for a cvs account by registering here:
http://www.arabeyes.org/register.php
I am making the assumption that you would like to put it on CVS.

I have just registered. However, the code and the dependencies are quite dirty :) I don't know if it would be a good idea to put it right now on cvs. But if I can later change easily things on cvs (directories for example), so no problem in putting it on cvs (it would be anyway more secure for me ;))

I would also put this email in a README file or something similar to be part
of the documentation when you import the project. I will then create a project
page for it and we can have it tracked as it goes ;)

OK ! and also a TODO file...

I have a suggestion though. I'm not sure what your background is, but I would start querying teachers (math teachers specifically) for things they would like to see in such a program.

Well, I prepare a PhD in cosmology... I think that this background is quite enough for the the small things I would like to start with in Maalam (Plots, derivation, itegration etc). But you are right, and I have to ask teachers (and users i general) about their needs. I have some contacts (teachers) in this field from the arab world. Also, I think that more specific needs will show up when people will start using it, hoping that someone would ever use it ;)

As it is, it sounds like good ideas and no
specific usage. I may be wrog, so do feel free to correct me ;)

As I said, the main goal is to create a program that draws plots the "right way", because at least for myself I felt the need to use one. In the scientific field there are programs used for creating plots from data that then can be included in articles, thesis etc.
Examples
--------
Microcal ( http://www.microcal.com/ ) have a product named Origin that works on Widows. See some screenshots here http://www.originlab.com/www/resources/graph_gallery/subjectindextemplate.asp?CatagoryID=Physical+Sciences . The particle physicists have a Program named Paw that works on unix (see http://wwwinfo.cern.ch/asd/paw ) and the Astronomers have IDL (see http://www.rsinc.com/idl/index.asp )

Also, beside having an arabic program that does such things (with the same quality or better ;)), I thought it would be nice to provide our community with features like those of mathematica or matlab. I admit that this is very ambitious but why not ;) ?

I hope it is enough clear... But if it is't, please ask me again ;)

Ciao,

Youcef.

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp