Re: mlterm problem

On Thu, 2 May 2002 00:31:23 -0700 (PDT),
  "Sayed Jaffer Al-Mosawi" <yamyam rocketmail com> wrote:

> I've compiled mlterm on Mandrake 8.2 using:
> ./configure --enable-anti-alias
>             --enable-imlib
>             --enable-fribidi
>
> Then installed it properly, and I followed the step
> that nadim wrote which are:
>
>  mkfontdir
>  xset fp+ `pwd`
>  xset fp rehash
>  mlterm -E utf8 -w 20 &
>
> But when I tried to open a utf-8 file (.po file
> specifically) using:
>
>  cat kmcop.po
>
> I could read english text, but the arabic text is
> compsed of long rectangles.
>
> How can I solve the problem ?

Sounds like you're not finding the font file -- ensure
the following:

 a. make sure that the path that you specified is listed
    in the font-path (xset -q)
 b. make sure that in that path a fonts.dir file exists
    (ie. 'ls /of/that/path')
 c. make sure that whatever is listed in the fonts.dir
    exists in that same directory.

Do also try a couple of other applications (less, vim, etc);
there might be an issue with your 'cat' -- you never know :-)

Hope that helps.