Re: [Fribidi-discuss] fribidi & arabic shaping

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:31:47AM +0200, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> > I agree with Omer. I think that FriBidi should not deal with shaping
> > but only with the implementation of the BiDi algorithm. You might want
> > to create a different library called FriBidiShaping for that.
> >

> Such a library as you may suggest, probably shouldn't depend on FriBiDi.
> We have toyed w/ this idea some time back, IIRC. But, nothing came out
> of it.. I guess it didn't pick up the momentum ;)

While I don't have personal interest in Arabic-specific issues, I would
like to note that making the proposed shaping library independent from
FriBidi is an excellent idea.  However when designing it, thought should
be given to the question of making it as easy as possible to integrate the
Arabic shaping library with FriBidi in an application, which needs both.

The first thing, which needs to be considered, is to get both libraries to
have compatible declarations of the basic datatypes, such as FriBidiChar.
This means that there will be one header file, which will be common to
both libraries.

<NITPICKING>
To split fribidi_types.h into two parts, one to be used also in the Arabic
shaping library; or to have the Arabic shaping library #include the entire
fribidi_types.h?
</NITPICKING>
                                             --- Omer