Re: VT-series terminals, bidi scripts, and standards

--- Jacob Nevins <jacobn+puttybugs chiark greenend org uk> wrote:

> Since bidi support for PuTTY is under discussion, I thought I'd
> ask a newbie question about bidi support in text terminals.
>
> I believe that ECMA-48 [1], which defines how VT-series terminals
> work, includes a definition for how such terminals should support
> bidirectional scripts. (ECMA TR/53 [2] is a somewhat more digestible
> version of the bidi bits.)
>
>   [1] <http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/STAND/ECMA-048.HTM>
>   [2] <http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/TECHREP/E-TR-053.HTM>
>
> My question is: does anyone (e.g. mlterm) _actually_ implement this
> scheme, or do you follow different standards?

You'd be best served going straight to the mlterm source/author
(mlterm.sf.net) - his answers and your findings will serve all
of us well as there was a thread regarding this discussion on
xfree86 awhile back which underlined a rampent sense of confusion.

Regards,