Re: Internal number storage

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 06:16:08PM +0330, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> > Is this a stated "opinion" or fact ?  In other words, what does the
> > world in large out there expect from an Arabic encoded document ?
>
> Localized numerals (0660..0669, in your case). W3C standards mention that
> specifically. There is a section in Unicode Bidi telling that applications
> "may" convert European numerals (0030..0039) to localized numerals
> intelligently, but does not specify any standard way for doing so.

I would like to note, that there is no such thing as European numerals. The
only European numerals are the Roman numerals.

0660-0669 are hindi numerals
0030-0039 are Arabic numerals

The description of Arabic numerals as 'non-hindi' or 'european' is vague
and misleading. I know it's confusing, and we would like to call things by who
is apparently making better use of, but that's not what they are called.

later