Re: [I18n]bdftruncate again ;)

ME> Who makes the final call?

David Dawes and the Core Team.

In cases where there is disagreement between XFree86 developers, David
will usually wait for a rough consensus before committing a change.
(His is a role that I don't envy.)

In this case, and whatever you may say, there is definitely no
consensus in favour of removing bdftruncate.  Removing bdftruncate
would significantly impair the performance of the server, and is
something that at least a few of us strongly oppose.

(Note, by the way, that the question of whether subsetting is broken
or not is irrelevant to the issue.  Making sure that subsetting works
will not suddenly cause all clients to use it.)

I have no objection to the inclusion of a ``full'' variant of the
fixed font, although I still believe that you're doing a disservice to
the userbase by trying to coerce the core fonts system into
typesetting Arabic, or pretending that Unicode is a suitable *glyph*
encoding for Arabic.

(As opposed to a suitable *character* encoding, which Unicode
definitely is.)

I'll leave it to you to suggest a suitable XLFD name for the full
font.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz