Re: Chonfigure's use

Salaam,

Isam Bayazidi wrote:

> Salam Chahine ..
>         I was just wondering, what are chonfigure's characteristics ?

I will create a full documentation about chonfigure as soon as possible.
Some of the characteritics are:
- Perl extensible
- very easy and intuitive source files for the Makefiles (chonfigure guesses most
dependencies automatically)

> and would
> anyone use it over the widly-used 'configure' ?
>         It seems like it is a usful tool .. but again configure is known to be usful
> too ..

Well, if one likes autoconf/automake, I won't convince her/him to change at this stage,
not before chonfigure gets more diffusion. However, there are very good reasons why
I developed chonfigure and why others (I know many who hate autotools) might prefer
chonfigure over the autoconf/automake tools. Mainly that the source files are much less
cryptic and much much shorter, much being guessed. You also don't write macros in m4,
but in Perl, which prevents you from relearning m4 everytime you start a new project.
So for now, it's definitely a lot more powerful than autotools (inheriting from the
power of Perl), but less complete as of course, more macros have been developed/tested
for the autotools. For now...:)

Salaam