Re: [I18n]Re: U+3000 limit

Around 22 o'clock on Jan 15, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> My point is, if you cannot guarantee that even the legacy applications will be
> able to support Xftt then it would make everyone happy (at least all the Arab
> speakers/users) if we have a full/complete Arabic core font.

Unless those legacy applications are using the X output method stuff,
they're not going to display properly even if the core font has the
necessary glyphs; the document encodings don't identify which glyphs are
to be used, nor do most of these applications handle BIDI.

Given that you're going to have to fix the applications, you might as well
just switch them to Xft and be done with it.  The development version of
Xft supports client-side fonts on all X servers so there's no reason to
continue using core text support at all.

We'll still need fonts with all of the appropriate glyphs; if we can't get
outline versions, the bitmapped ones will still be quite useful.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab