Re: Quran license

I agree with Mohammed Elzubeir and Isam Bayazidi. Who has the copyright on the translation and what kind of license does he have on it.

And about the XML files, you have to create a license that protect all data (official name is CDATA in the XML specification of W3C) in the xml file from modification, but allows people to modify the XML file (by example: adding nieuw features) without modifying the data and allows porting the data to another format like a database or own format.

From: Isam Bayazidi
Subject: Re: Quran license
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:05:20 +0200

Salam ..
I second Mohammed Elzubeir on this. It is no doubt that the Holy Quran text
is public domain, but what about translations? are they copyrighted? now
Osama al-Khayat noted that recordings from his father are open, but does the
GPL apply on the Audio files ? is there a source and a binary format of the
OGG file ? I don't guess so, the Audio are much like documents, so we should
look for a document license..
Now there comes the XML and the QT/GTK coding.. now you can choose the
license you want for it.. maybe GPL .. what about using LGPL for libquran?
allowing to build a software of any kind above libquran .. make libquran on
LGPL, the QtQuran under maybe GPL or whatever .. I am not sure .. but it
seems that the LGPL is appropriate for things like libquran..

Yours
Isam Bayazidi

On Saturday 28 December 2002 21:32, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote: > On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 08:54:26PM +0300, Ossama Khayaat wrote: > > The audio recordings that I'm doing are of my Father. So, you can > > put them under whatever license you want. > > And anyway, this is a part of our religion and no one (IMHO) has > > the right to prevent it from spreading! > > I think the general consensus is that it should be available to > whoever, whenever and however ;) The problem is with giving the right > to modify any of the data. What if you have typo's? Who is responsible > for them? What if you start having multiple versions of them? What > about translations? Aren't those copyrighted? How are they treated > differently from the original text (in the eyes of the law). > > Please, if someone knows any lawyers (friends, relatives, etc.) try > to ask for their advise. > > Thanks