Re: Quran license

Oh, that's right. I guess Mohammad Damt or anyone
who know enough information about licenses should
advise us on this.

Ossama K.

Mohamed Salah wrote:
Assalam 3alaikum,
Brothers,
The GPL License allow to modifiy the content of the
thing distributed under this license. "2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program
or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the
Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or
work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that
you also meet all of these conditions: ..."

So i think that we can't distribute the content (which
is the Holy Quraan) under this licence. we should
protect this content from alteration or modification
by any person unless it is an authority like
al-azhar...

I propose that you modify the GPL Licence to protect
and distribute these audio and XML Files with respect
to the holiness of Quraan.

at the end, i apologize if my english isn't good
enough to be understood.

Mohamed (salahm),

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> a écrit : > On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:20:55PM +0700, Mohammad

DAMT wrote:

Brothers,

What's appropriate license for Quran data (XML and

audio files),

is Public Domain good enough?

I was about to make rpm files for quran projects

and got stuck on this

matter.

I think the text is public domain, but the XML format and audio recording can be either way. I would suggest you keep it under the GPL.

That's just my suggestion though, I think this is by
far up to those
involved directly (namely you, M.Yousif and Khayat).

later

| Mohammed Elzubeir | Visit us at: |
| | http://www.arabeyes.org/ |
| Arabeyes Project | Homepage: |