Re: Fribidi and joining

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad bamdad org> wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> > I might be missing something here -- you are suggesting having a
> > piece of code that does shaping/joining only, right ?  Post-bidi
> > or Pre-Bidi (warning: this is a loaded question :-) ?  And that
> > would work without the noted problem ?  Or are you simply saying
> > you don't want to see Arabic-centric issues involved in fribidi ?
>
> No, I mean that: A conformant implementation is far from
> possible right now, so lets have a something-that-works to use,
> but don't expect me to include it in fribidi :(

Fair enough.  I think we already have working solutions (or else no one
would be able to read/write Arabic on linux), so let's just concentrate
on knocking this conformacy issue down (and propose a solution to Unicode
and get the ball rolling - knowing how they work it will be ages before
they decide on anything).  FWIW, I fully understand what you were getting
at with your previous posts now -- no one likes (wants) to add half-baked
solutions/code/algorithms to an otherwise working application.

> As Roozbeh said, I'm mainly talking about conformancy, I cannot
> accept the idea of ignoring Override Marks (those rare cases) to
> get joining working.  fribidi has tried hard to implement these
> rare cases, how can I break all my works by including a broken
> joining?

OK, so we are all in agreement here.  To restate the obvious for
those that like brevity with their Tea :-) we must come with a
decent/fully-encompassing/elegant solution to address all the
'Override Marks' in relation to shaping and Bidi first and foremost.
I will do a bit more reading myself (as I have a week off coming
up) and will try to give some thought to all these issues in hopes
of getting a better sense of what's really involved (I do realize
its no easy task, so I'm not gullable :-)

My humble request (and I do seem to lots of 'em :-), do please keep
us abreast of any developments and/or documents that might come to
light (or if you guys end-up generating any).  I think both myself and
Mr. Elzubeir will give this issue some much needed background attention.

Any other takers willing to learn/help ??

BTW: we've had a few people wanting to help of late especially
     with algorithmic problem solving solutions, no ??