Re: Akka merge

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:01:49PM +0000, Phactorial - wrote:

> I am back and school has started. With 2 AP classes on my shoulders I am
> not sure of the amount of time I will have left for Akka's development.

We all have our lives and things to keep us busy. This is nothing new. You
just organize your time.

> That configuration tool could take a little bit longer. Also, before you

Shouldn't, neither do I find it to be a 'priority'. A sane configuration file
should do (ini format, even).

> role out a 1.1 release, hold yourself and deal with the other problems. If

I'm not in a big hurry, but I would like to be clear on what we are doing and
what we are not doing.

> you want release but my next commit has more code cleanup and optimizations

And that's why I asked you to commit them (assuming they are already written).
I would like to do some other things myself and don't want to do what you've
already done. So, please do commit what you have now (granted it doesn't break
anything new).

> ;). Regarding Akka's problems, this specifically includes some of the
> possibly redundant dependencies and the keymap/font issues that make Akka
> configuration so difficult for most users.

There are several issues. My priority at this point is to get rid of all the
extra and unncessary fat, like the ORBit dependency for example. I already
started on that.. but it's going to require quite a bit of re-structuring.
This will of course affect the 'extra' flexibility, but also unncessary
flexibility for an otherwise 'should-be' straight-forward program.

So, if you do have those patches ready, just commit it. Otherwise, let me know
so I can start stripping Akka down to a bare-minimum and then we can do the
code-clean up and optimization (which would probably come as a by-product of
the stripping down).

> Regarding school, it looks like I'll be very busy with AP History, I am
> sure I will still have a bit of time for coding at the end of the day.

There's always a 'bit of time' for coding ;)

> I will restudy Akka today and look at it's dependencies and find a way to
> have Akka deal with keymaps (compressed) efficiently and in a more
> user-friendly way.

That also, is not a big deal. Let's concentrate on getting those patches in or
getting rid of the extra fat. The rest is easy.

P.S. Good luck with AP ;)

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: