Re: a new project 'quran'

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:28:38 -0500,
  "Mohammed Elzubeir" <elzubeir arabeyes org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:00:22PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:20:40 +0300,
> >
> > I have a suggestion -- are you looking or considering creating (or porting)
> > this program to non-Qt3 type of environments.  What I'm getting at is, it
> > would be wonderful if such a program would exist and function properly
> > without dependence on Qt3 and/or Pango/Gtk.  This might be a new area for
> > you (and us :-), but it might be a good place to start a discussion along
> > those lines regarding how to go about doing something like that (I know it
> > might be considered reinventing the wheel and that it might not sit well
> > with
>
> No, it's not 'considered' to be reinventing the wheel, it _is_ reinventing
> it. I don't understand why anyone would want to do that. Unless you are
> suggesting adding Arabic support the native xlibs, this is a waste of time.

There might be those that don't want/have QT/Pango(GTK) that might want
to gain access to such an application.  Using Xlib along with friBidi is
sufficient to get the job done and have it be relatively platform agnostic
(iPaq/other-handhelds, OS-X, Solaris, hpux, etc).  This application in
particular is one of those things that I would highly suggest making as
simple and non-dependent on largish libraries as possible.