Re: a new project 'quran'

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 23:00, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:20:40 +0300,
>   "Mohammed Yousif" <mhdyousif gmx net> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to mention a very new project called "The Holy Qur'an Program",
> > it's a project in C++ using Qt3 libraries with features less than minimum
> > for such a project.
> >
> > It can only display the Holy Qur'an text and read them using mp3 files.
> > The Qur'an text is in XML/Utf-8
> >
> > Here is a screenshot of it :
> >   http://mhdyousif.hypermart.net/quran/quranprog.png
> >
> > You can get The required files here (Sources - Slackware tarballs - RPMS):
> >   http://mhdyousif.hypermart.net/quran
>
> Mr. Yousif, its wonderful to see you back and active :-)  keep it up !!
>
> I have a suggestion -- are you looking or considering creating (or porting)
> this program to non-Qt3 type of environments.  What I'm getting at is, it
> would be wonderful if such a program would exist and function properly
> without dependence on Qt3 and/or Pango/Gtk.
do you mean inventing a new GUI toolkit ? or making the project GUI
independent via plugins ??
This might be a new area for
> you (and us :-), but it might be a good place to start a discussion along
> those lines regarding how to go about doing something like that (I know it
> might be considered reinventing the wheel and that it might not sit well with
> many, but if you are looking to reach a wider audience and possible learn
> something new - this might be cool to look into :-).
if you mean new gui toolkit i won't consider it reinventing the weel
we have gtk, qt, wxwindows, fltk, ....
  The X draw widgets are
> all over the place (ie. to tell us how to map windows and how to move them
> and what sort of notifications need to be sent to the window managers, etc
> by looking at source code in xterm/mlterm/vim/and-a-million-other-programs).
>
> Just a thought & again welcome back.
>
>  - Nadim
use the row Xlib ?
i really don't understand "perhaps i'm having a closed mind right now
;)"

--
-- Uniball @ DALnet