Re: help, new akka release coming - 0.1a

--- "Chahine M. Hamila" wrote:
> Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:17:31PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > >
> > > While I'm at -- RPM's would be nice too (you'd certainly double/triple
> > > your user/tester base :-)
> > >

> > To build an rpm package, you essentially need two things:
> >
> > a) a program that can autoconfigure and build itself (akka can now do that)
> > b) a spec file (attached to this message)
> >

> We can build rpm packages on debian so we can test the process on a debian
> box.  The thing is, I don't know how to build rpm packages.  Is there a
> straight command that wouldn't require me to search docs for hours in
> order to build such a package?
>
> Is there a very short tutorial to get me running things very quickly,
> esp. knowing how to specify deps and file locations (fonts, glyphmaps,
> keymaps...)?

Here's some info I've gather on rpm creation.

1. Install all the required development libraries for the
   package at hand (ie. make sure you can compile it on your
   local machine).

2. Ensure that you are on a stock RedHat 6.x or 7.x machine (ie.
   don't have standard utilities like perl installed /usr/local/bin
   or ~/bin)

3. Create a "spec" file. [use Mr. Elzubeir's attachment]

4. Do the actual build; run 'rpm-build'
   a. for RedHat 6.x make sure you have write permissions to
      /usr/src/redhat
   b. for RedHat 7.x+ $HOME/redhat is used

BTW: alot of packages incorporate rpm building into their make files to
     ease the step further 'make rpm' (but that's for later).

I haven't run through this procedure myself yet, so be forewarned :-)