Re: QaMoose - Can it be English/Arabic/Farsi/Urdu ?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:27:51 +0500
 "Mahin" <mahin at pakban dot net> wrote:

> Salam,
>
> On the outset please accept congratulations from me for QaMoose and
> continued development as well as additional features. I have been
> keenly watching discussion about it on group and QaMoose itself, for
> the simple reason that I am working on a similar project for Urdu.
> Having worked manually I can see how easy it is to use your QaMoose,
> hence when I say thank you it really means some thing more.

Thank you for your kind words.

> > Arabeyes would like to announce the release of QaMoose version-1.2
> >

> I would like to use QaMoose for English/Urdu dictionary and I hope
> you will allow me its usage. I have done some work manually and have
> learned that it is easier for me to find better word if I refer to
> Arabic/Persian translations. In Urdu we do not have problem in
> adopting English terms but personaly I would like to adopt Arabic or
> Persian terms so that there is common term useage among common script
> ( Arabic ) user despite the difference of languages.

QaMoose is under GPL license and as such its completely OPEN and FREE
for you to use (as long as you make your modifications available for
others to see and use).  So feel free to use QaMoose as you please.
All we ask is that you give us a plug (mention arabeyes.org) and to
help us in the various projects we have going now (and will have going)
in the future.

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

> I do not know how difficult it will be or if it could be done at all
> but hope no harm in describing a wish. Is it possible to make QaMoose
> provide simultaneous translations for Arabic ,Farsi and Urdu ? I can
> commit to provide Urdu translations and hope to persuade Roozbeh/some
> one else for Farsi. If there is any problem with Farsi at least
> English/Arabic/Urdu QaMoose is no problem provided the software can
> be made to accept it.

I don't think it would be difficult at all.  But I don't see that
arabeyes.org is the place to do it.  Keep in mind, that the reason this
work come about and was completed was to help the various translating
volunteers working on translating technical terms for such things as
the KDE and Gnome environments, etc required only English -> Arabic
translations.

> Reason for asking you is that you know QaMoose inside out so you are
> the best person to tell if this is at all possible even then how
> easy/difficult it is. While I myself and all Urdu language users
> would be eternaly grateful to you for allowing the use of QaMoose
> even in its current state for creation of English/Urdu QaMoose could
> we expect some help from you if you decide trilingual QaMoose is
> possible ?

As noted - I don't think it would be difficult at all (and if I had
more time on my hands, I would have been more than happy to do it all
and add flags to enable which languages to display, etc), but I'm WAY
overloaded with both arabeyes stuff and actual work.  If you do
decided to do that, don't forget to submit patches, mind you there is
nothing specific about Urdu, Farsi and/or Arabic -- they are all UTF-8
fields :-)

 - Nadim