Mentorship program in Arabeyes

Salam.

Before reading the rest of this e-mail, I first must ask core to read
Moe's post regarding AE's mentorship program[1].

I believe that every new committer must be assigned a mentor. A new
committer must tunnel any changes to code through his mentor for
acceptance into the code base to make sure of quality. Once the new
committer gains enough experience and the mentor feels that he is ready,
the committer would then be ready for mentorship of other new developers
and gains the ability to commit to his own projects with no approval of
other developers (as long as it isn't major). This is the process used
by FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD/etc...

akin to Moe's plan, I believe our first process is to go through all
current code, heavily comment it and assure quality. We need to set
standards in our code, I suggest we use FreeBSD's style[2] for this. At
this point, after we have set a standard in quality in our current code
base, we need core to review any new incoming projects to make sure it
is up-to-par with our quality.

Believe it or not, our current code-base is *crap* excluding bicon.

The process would basically be:
  1) Comment all code
  2) Adopt a universal style (assure quality, our code needs audits)
  3) Execute mentorship program, begin assigning mentors to new
     developers
  4) We start having monthly IRC seminars covering various topics.
     This should be related to i18n...or not. We should be a cornerstone
     for Arab open-source developers.

How do you guys want to go about this?

[1] http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/core/2003/January/msg00000.html
[2]